Quantitative Surface test for Antimicrobial efficacy of Disinfectants
PAS 2424 : 2015 – Quantitative Surface test for Antimicrobial efficacy of Disinfectants (Bactericidal and/or Yeasticidal) on Hard Porous Surfaces
PAS 2424 specifies the residual antimicrobial efficacy of liquid, chemical disinfectants that claim to offer long-lasting or 24-hour protection on hard, non-porous surfaces. This test is applicable to products used for disinfection purposes in homes, schools, hospitals, and nursing homes.
Importance of PAS 2424 Test
- In the market, many available antimicrobial disinfectant formulations claim to achieve 24-hour or long-lasting protection from germs. Apparently, there are no standard protocols to check such efficacy claims. PAS 2424 is a test method that checks if disinfectant formulations really have the potential to provide antimicrobial protection over a 24h contact period.
- PAS 2424 test method is designed as an extension of EN 13697.
- The commercial formulations to be tested using PAS 2424 should meet the testing requirements of EN 13697.
- Results from PAS 2424 should only be considered if the product has achieved ≥4 log reduction value to EN 13697 test under specific test conditions i.e. contact time, temperature, and organic load.
PAS 2424 Test Method
- Test microorganisms are inoculated on steel discs and allowed to dry.
- 5 steel discs are treated with test product and 5 are treated with hard water.
- During a contact period of 24 hrs, all discs undergo 3 cycles of abrasion and re-contamination.
- After 24 hrs contact period, discs are again exposed to test inoculum and bovine albumin (interfering substance). This is further incubated under 20°C for a specific contact period time.
- After the incubation period, discs are transferred to a neutralizing solution.
- The number of bacteria recovered from neutralizing solutions are calculated using the plate count method.
- Residual antimicrobial efficacy is calculated by comparing the reduction of bacterial colonies on treated discs with bacteria colonies present on untreated discs.
Microbe Investigations is a leading microbiology testing service provider across the globe. Our testing facilities are well equipped with the most advanced testing equipments and highly skilled microbiologists and technical staff. Antimicrobial testing includes both standardized and customized protocols based on the customer’s requirements.
We perform antimicrobial testing for all types of textile finishes, coatings, and disinfectant products. With our robust process design in microbiological analysis, we aim to enhance our services for our customers in terms of quality, turnaround time, and cost.
Contact our experts now to book your test slot for PAS 2424.
PAS 2424 test is a quantitative non-porous surface test that evaluates the residual bactericidal and/or yeasticidal activity of chemical disinfectant products.
PAS 2424 test is intended for disinfectant formulations used in homes, schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and industrial areas.
PAS 2424 test takes 3-4 days to complete.
At Microbe Investigations, we understand the need for accuracy and speed. We test for PAS 2424 using the following bacteria: Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Escherichia coli (ATCC 8739), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Enterococcus hirae (ATCC 10541), Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352), MRSA (ATCC 33591), Salmonella enterica (ATCC 10708), Candida Albicans (MTCC 3017). Additional strains can be added on request.
Contact us for more information
Explore Other Tests
ASTME2149 | AATCC-100 | JISZ2801 | JISL1902 | EN 1276 | ISO 22196 | ISO 20743 | ISO 846 | ASTM E2180 | AATCC 147 | ASTM D7907-14 | ASTM E3031 | ASTM G29 | EN 16615 | EN 13697 | PAS 2424 | EN 1040 | EN 14349 | EN 13727 | EN 14561 | ASTM G22 | ASTM E1153 | ASTM D2574 | AATCC 174 | EN 14563 | EN 13704 | EN 1499 | EN 1500 | EN 14347 | EN 14348 | EN 1656 | EN 16437 | EN 12791 | ASTM E1174 | ASTM E2362