BS EN 13697
Determine Bactericidal and/or Fungicidal activity of Chemical Disinfectants
EN 13697:2015+A1:2019 – Quantitative non-porous surface test for the evaluation of bactericidal and/or fungicidal activity of chemical disinfectants used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas
EN 13697 is a quantitative non-porous surface test method that assesses the bactericidal or fungicidal activity of chemical disinfectants intended for use in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas. However, this antimicrobial test method is not applicable for areas and situations where disinfection is medically indicated or excluding the products used on the living tissues.
On the other hand, EN 14476 is available to determine the antiviral activity of chemical disinfectants and antiseptics.
EN 13697 Test Conditions & Requirements
- Test temperature – In between 4 °C and 40 °C
- Contact time – In between 1 min and 60 mins
- Interfering substance – It is required to check the efficacy of the test samples against other dirty or clean conditions that coexist with microbes in natural environments
- Log reduction – For a product to pass bactericidal efficacy, it must achieve 5 log reduction value. And for fungicidal efficacy, a product must have to acquire 3 log reduction values.
EN 13697 Test Method
- Test suspension is added into an interfering substance, then inoculated onto the surface of stainless steel. This is allowed to dry out.
- Sample product(test) and hard water (control) are applied to the surface of dried microbial film and maintained at a specific temperature for a specific contact time period.
- At the end of contact time, surface is transferred to the neutralizing solution to extract the remaining bacteria/fungi.
- Plating method is used to enumerate the surviving test microorganism after neutralization. A similar procedure is performed for surfaces treated with hard water.
- The microbicidal effect of the test sample is compared to the control test.
At MIS, We offer antimicrobial testing services for products from major industries and manufacturers (textiles, coatings, disinfectants, and plastics) worldwide. Our microbiology experts utilize standard and customized methods which suit best to our customers testing needs.
For antimicrobial efficacy of surface disinfectants, MIS also performs EN 1276 and EN 14476 test methods.
For more information on our test pricing, facilities, and services, contact our team experts today.
EN 13697 is a quantitative non-porous surface test that specifies the bactericidal and/or fungicidal activity of chemical disinfectants. This test is only for chemical disinfectants used in food, industrial, domestic, and institutional areas.
EN 13697 test is applicable for chemical disinfectant products used in food, industrial, domestic, and institutional areas.
EN 13697 test takes 3 to 4 days for bacteria and 7-14 days for viruses.
At Microbe Investigations, we understand the need for accuracy and speed. We test for EN 13697 using the following bacteria: Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Escherichia coli (ATCC 8739), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Enterococcus hirae (ATCC 10541), Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352), MRSA (ATCC 33591), Salmonella enterica ( ATCC 10708), Candida Albicans (MTCC 3017). Additional strains can be added on request.