Detection of candida albicans microorganisms in cosmetic product
ISO 18416 : 2017 – Detection of Candida Albicans Microorganisms in Cosmetic Products
ISO 18416 standard outlines a test used for detecting and identifying Candida albicans in cosmetic products.
ISO 18416 test involves detecting Candida albicans in a enrichment broth i.e. non-selective liquid medium, and subsequently isolating it on a selective agar medium.
ISO 18416 Test Method
- The cosmetic test sample is diluted directly in an enrichment broth at a 1:10 ratio, given that the sample is homogeneous in water.
- The cosmetic samples that are non-homogenous in water are mixed with a solubilising agent before adding to the enrichment broth.
- The cosmetic samples containing any antimicrobial agent acting as a preservative, their enrichment broth should be supplemented with a suitable neutraliser for the antimicrobial agent.
- The cosmetic sample is incubated in the enrichment broth for 24 to 72 hours at 32.5°C and then transferred to a selective agar medium.
- The selective agar medium is incubated at 32.5°C and examined at 24 and 48 hours.
- For detecting the presence or absence of Candida albicans in the cosmetic sample, the selective medium is observed for compatible colonies.
- The Candida albicans microorganism is identified by performing phenotypic and morphological tests on the recovered colonies.
Importance of ISO 18416 Test
Candida albicans is an opportunistic pathogenic yeast that can cause skin and eye infections if present in cosmetic or personal care products. The detection of such infectious microbes in cosmetics implies a lapse in hygiene during the manufacturing process. Thus, ISO 18416 testing is of vital significance for ensuring the quality of cosmetic products and for the safety of consumers.
At MIS, We provide an extensive range of services for testing and analysing cosmetic products. Our laboratories are equipped with state-of-the-art tools and instruments, ensuring the precision of our results.
Microbe investigations also conduct ISO 18415 test for assessing cosmetic products that are immiscible in water.
ISO 18416 test provides general details about the “presence or absence” of a particular skin pathogen Candida albicans in cosmetic products or other topical skin products.
ISO 18416 test is applicable for cosmetic and personal care products having microbiological risk for Candida albicans.
The ISO 18416 test takes 8-9 days to complete.
ISO 18416 test guidelines specify using the following microbial strain: Candida albicans.
Contact us for more information
Explore Other Tests
ASTME2149 | AATCC-100 | JISZ2801 | JISL1902 | EN 1276 | ISO 22196 | ISO 20743 | ISO 846 | ASTM E2180 | AATCC 147 | ASTM D7907-14 | ASTM E3031 | ASTM G29 | EN 16615 | EN 13697 | PAS 2424 | EN 1040 | EN 14349 | EN 13727 | EN 14561 | ASTM G22 | ASTM E1153 | ASTM D2574 | AATCC 174 | EN 14563 | EN 13704 | EN 1499 | EN 1500 | EN 14347 | EN 14348 | EN 1656 | EN 16437 | EN 12791 | ASTM E1174 | ASTM E2362