Evaluation of basic Bactericidal Activity of Chemical Disinfectants and Antiseptics
BS EN 1040: 2006 (Quantitative Suspension Test for the Evaluation of basic Bactericidal activity of Chemical Disinfectants and Antiseptics)
EN 1040 (phase 1, suspension test) is used to determine the basic bactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants and antiseptics. This test is performed to confirm biocidal efficacy of products without stimulating practical conditions for their intended use. Hence, this test can not be used for product claims.
EN 1040 Test Conditions and Requirements
- Mandatory test microorganisms – Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442) and Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P).
- Test temperature – 20 °C
- Contact time – 5 min
- Log reduction – Tested product must achieve 5 log reduction value to pass EN 1040 test
EN 1040 Test Method
- The test product is challenged with the test organism for a specific contact time. In parallel, a control test is performed wherein the test product is added to water.
- Immediately after contact period, an aliquot of the mixture (from both test and control) is transferred to a neutralizing solution to suppress the bactericidal activity.
- Neutralizing extract is incubated for 2 days to enumerate remaining viable bacteria by using plate count method.
- The bactericidal effect of the test sample is observed and compared to the control test.
At MIS, we perform EN 1040 (phase 1 suspension) test for a range of chemical disinfectants and antiseptic formulations.
For disinfectant testing, our microbiology experts implement both standardized and customized methods that suit all testing needs of our client’s product samples.
In our testing facilities, we are capable of developing and performing other quantitative suspension tests like EN 1276 and EN 13697 for the evaluation of bactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants and antiseptic products.
Contact us now to get a price quote for EN 1040 or any other related information about our microbiology testing services. Our microbiology experts are here to provide you with thorough consultation and guidance regarding your testing requirements.
EN 1040 standard specifies the test method for evaluating the basic bactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants and antiseptics.
EN 1040 test is applicable to formulations intended to be used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional, medical, and veterinary areas for disinfection purposes. Also, antibacterial biocides can be tested using EN 1040 standard.
EN 1040 test takes 1-2 weeks to complete.
At Microbe Investigations, we test for EN 1040 using the following bacterial and fungal strains: Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Escherichia coli (ATCC 8739), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Enterococcus hirae (ATCC 10541), Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352), MRSA (ATCC 33591), Salmonella enterica (ATCC 10708), Candida Albicans (MTCC 3017).