EN 13704 Test
Evaluate Sporicidal Activity of Chemical Disinfectants
BS EN 13704 : 2018 – Quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of sporicidal activity of chemical disinfectants used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas (phase 2, step 1)
EN 13704 specifies a test method to assess the sporicidal activity of chemical disinfectants used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas. EN 13704 test is excluding situations/areas where disinfection is medically indicated or disinfectant products are used on living tissues except for hand hygiene formulations.
Spore forming bacteria represent a class of microbes that have the ability to survive in extreme environments. Sporicidal disinfectants are designed to kill the bacterial and fungal spores.
Sporicidal tests like EN 13704 check the efficacy of such disinfectant products against the objectionable organisms it is intended for use against.
EN 13704 Test Conditions & Requirements
- Mandatory test microorganisms – Bacillus subtilis
- Additional sporicidal activity against aerobes for specific uses – Bacillus cereus
- Additional sporicidal activity against anaerobes for specific uses – Clostridium sporogenes
- Test temperature – 4°C and 75°C
- Contact time – Between 1 and 60 minutes (in this range, only contact times of 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and 60 min are allowed)
- Interfering substance –
- Clean Conditions: 0.3g/l bovine albumin solution
- Dirty conditions: 3.0 g/l bovine albumin solution
- Log reduction – >3
EN 13704 Test Method
- Test product is added to the test tube containing test suspension and interfering substances.
- For interaction between product sample and test microorganisms, mixture is left for specific contact times.
- At the end of contact time, 1 aliquot of mixture is transferred into neutralizing solution.
- In next step, neutralizing extract is plated and incubated for 48 hours to determine surviving bacterial spores.
- After incubation, reduction in viable counts is compared with original microbial culture.
At MIS, we offer a complete spectrum of testing for disinfectants possessing antibacterial, sporicidal, antifungal, and virucidal action.
We have a team of highly qualified microbiology professionals and technical experts who render our testing services as per international standards and also according to the requirements of the customers.
Our testing areas comprising of aseptic techniques/practices and modern technologies that generate reliable results.
EN 13704 test is performed using practical conditions to determine whether a given chemical disinfectant is capable of showing sporicidal action in the intended area of use.
EN 13704 test is aimed for products used in food, industrial, domestic, and institutional areas for disinfection purpose.
EN 13704 test takes 2-3 weeks to complete.
At Microbe Investigations, we test for EN 13704 using the following microbial strains: Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus cereus, Clostridium sporogenes. Additional stains can be added on customer’s request.