Evaluation of Laundry Sanitizers and Disinfectants
ASTM E2274 : 2016 – Evaluation of Laundry Sanitizers and Disinfectants
ASTM E2274 specifies a test method for assessing the microbicidal efficacy of laundry detergents used in traditional top-loading automatic clothes washing processes. This test method is primarily used for providing testing with vegetative bacteria but can also be adapted for tests with fungi and viruses.
ASTM E2274 test is designed to complement test method ASTM E2406 and is supposed to be used for test product’s worst case scenarios.
ASTM E2274 Test Conditions & Requirement
The parameters outlined by ASTM E2274 standard are as follows :
Test organism (Bacterial strains)
Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352)
Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538)
Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442)
Other Test organism as per the application
This will be decided based on the practical conditions of the disinfectant and sanitizer application and will be specified by the manufacturer.
The results of the test are expressed as percentage reduction of test organisms on carrier fabric and wash water in relation to the control.
ASTM E2274 Test Method
- Each of three sterile fabric carriers is inoculated with 0.030 ml of prepared inoculum of test microorganism.
- The carriers are dried in an incubator at 35 ± 2 °C for no longer than 30 minutes.
- The dried inoculated carriers are aseptically transferred into the folding of a single wrapped spindle.
- The spindle is aseptically placed into a sterile exposure chamber.
- On completion of exposure time, the spindle is removed from the exposure chamber using sterile forceps/gloves.
- The fabric carriers are aseptically removed from the spindle and placed into neutralising broth.
- Wash water is added to neutralising broth and mixed well which completes the exposure time.
- The entire volume of wash water containing neutralising broth is filtered and the filter is plated and incubated on agar plates to enumerate remaining bacteria.
- The results are reported as growth (+) and no growth (-).
- Gram stain and streaking is used for identification purposes.
- Sub-method for determining sanitising efficacy:
- Serial dilution is performed on neutralising broth and the neutralised wash water separately.
- Both sets of dilutions are plated and incubated on agar plate for 48 ± 2 hours at 35 ± 2 °C.
- The colonies are counted and the number of organisms on fabric carriers and in wash water is compared to control and the percentage of reduction is deduced.
Importance of ASTM E2274 Test
The fabrics used in the medical area, workwear of laboratories and pharmaceutical industry will be significantly contaminated with pathogenic microorganisms after use. They are likely to contain considerable levels of soiling such as blood, urine, sweat, and etcetera. These contaminated fabrics can highly increase the chances of infection and cross contamination. Thus, it’s very essential to terminally clean these fabrics before reuse. ASTM E2274 test method validates the products used for disinfecting and sanitising these contaminated textiles, thus maintaining a hygienic and safe environment.
At Microbe Investigations, we offer a wide range of antimicrobial testing services for all kinds of disinfectant and sanitary products under one roof. We focus on giving genuine and affordable services to our clients while maintaining excellence.
Our team of experts perform the tests completely in accordance with standard operating protocols and keep daily track of test activities to provide coherent test results.
To get more information on ASTM E2274 testing, get a free consultation from our experts.
ASTM E2274 outlines a test method for evaluating the antimicrobial efficacy of a test reagent or formulation of laundry sanitisers and disinfectants used to disinfect contaminated fabrics.
ASTM E2274 test is designed for laundry detergents, additives and sanitisers used in top-loading automatic clothes washing processes.
ASTM E2274 test takes 4-6 weeks to complete.
At Microbe Investigations, we test for ASTM E2274 using the following bacterial strains : Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442).
Contact us for more information
Explore Other Tests
ASTME2149 | AATCC-100 | JISZ2801 | JISL1902 | EN 1276 | ISO 22196 | ISO 20743 | ISO 846 | ASTM E2180 | AATCC 147 | ASTM D7907-14 | ASTM E3031 | ASTM G29 | EN 16615 | EN 13697 | PAS 2424 | EN 1040 | EN 14349 | EN 13727 | EN 14561 | ASTM G22 | ASTM E1153 | ASTM D2574 | AATCC 174 | EN 14563 | EN 13704 | EN 1499 | EN 1500 | EN 14347 | EN 14348 | EN 1656 | EN 16437 | EN 12791 | ASTM E1174 | ASTM E2362