Germicidal Spray Product Test
AOAC 961.02 (2009) – Efficacy Test for Germicidal Spray Products as Disinfectants
AOAC 961.02 provides test procedure to determine the germicidal efficacy of liquid disinfectants on hard, non-porous surfaces. This test is applicable for trigger sprays and aerosols disinfectants.
Disinfectant sprays are very effective to kill most germs (bacteria, viruses, and other microbes) in a short time period. But, before such products reach the end users, it is pivotal to check the efficacy claims using AOAC 961.02 standard. This standard method is also accepted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Organisms typically used in this method: Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352), Escherichia coli (ATCC 8739), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Enterococcus hirae (ATCC 10541), MRSA (ATCC 33591), Salmonella entercia (ATCC 10708), Candida Albicans (MTCC 3017), Aspergillus niger (ATCC 16888)
AOAC 961.02 Test Method
- Microscope slides of size 18 x 36 mm (referred as test carriers) are placed in petri plates.
- Microbial inoculum is spread onto test carriers and is allowed to dry out.
- Few inoculated test careers are enumerated to know initial microbial concentration.
- Product samples are sprayed over remaining dried inoculated slides. These slides are further incubated for specific contact period time.
- At the end of contact period, slides are transferred to individual containers containing neutralizing solutions.
- Neutralizing extract is plated and inculcated to determine viable microorganisms.
- To pass AOAC 961.02 test, there should be complete disinfection on test career surfaces.
Microbe Investigations provides efficacy testing for germicidal disinfectant sprays products by using AOAC 961.02 standard.
We design and perform testing protocols according to international standards and provide precise and accurate results to clients. While doing microbiological analysis of products, we ensure to include specified and emerging pathogens as test microorganisms.
Also, we also perform AOAC use dilution test to measure the antimicrobial efficacy of liquid disinfectants on inanimate surfaces.
Need further assistance on AOAC 961.02 germicidal spray test, contact with our experts now.
AOAC 961.02 standard is designed to assess germicidal efficacy of spray disinfectants intended to be used on inanimate, non-porous surfaces.
AOAC 961.02 germicidal spray test is applicable for disinfectant products which do not require dilution. Products that can be tested with AOAC 961.02 test include trigger sprays and aerosols disinfectants.
AOAC 961.02 test takes 1-2 weeks to complete.
At Microbe Investigations, we test for AOAC 961.02 using the following bacterial and fungal strains: Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Escherichia coli (ATCC 8739), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Enterococcus hirae (ATCC 10541), Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352), MRSA (ATCC 33591), Salmonella enterica (ATCC 10708), Aspergillus niger (ATCC-16888), Candida Albicans (MTCC 3017).