Determine Antimicrobial Effectiveness of Pre-saturated or Impregnated Towelettes
ASTM E2362 : 2022 – Evaluation of Pre-saturated or Impregnated Towelettes for Hard Surface Disinfection
ASTM E2362 is a qualitative test that demonstrates the antimicrobial effectiveness of pre-saturated or impregnated towelette for the disinfection of hard surfaces. The product efficacy in this test is interpreted by observing positive or negative growth of test microorganisms.
Antimicrobial towelettes are designed to make disinfectant processes more easier and convenient for end users.
Towelette (disposable disinfectant wipes) are impregnated with antimicrobial agents that kill or reduce microbial burden present on inanimate hard surfaces. However, standardized in-lab qualitative and quantitative antimicrobial efficacy tests are an essential first step before the launch of towelettes.
According to ASTM guidelines, pre-saturated or impregnated towelettes must be subjected to testing under the conditions in which they are intended to be used. ASTM E2362 standard is available to demonstrate antimicrobial effectiveness of such sample products.
ASTM E2362 Test Conditions and Requirements
- Mandatory test microorganisms – Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Mycobacterium bovis and Trichophyton mentagrophytes
- Interfering substance:
- For precleaned surfaces – Not required
- For soiled surfaces – Fetal bovine serum or other appropriate substances based on the intended use of the test product
- Carriers (test surfaces) – A non – porous glass surface of 625 square mm area
- Contact times – As per the manufacturer’s recommendations
- Incubation period:
- 48 hours at 37°C ± 1°C for S. aureus and P. aeruginosa
- 10 days at 27°C ± 2.5 °C for T. mentagrophytes
- Between 60 and 90 days for Mycobacteria
- Passing criteria – No microbial growth/ turbidity after antimicrobial analysis
ASTM E2362 Test Method
- Microbial test suspension with the interfering substance is inoculated on carrier surfaces and allowed to dry visibly.
- The carrier with the dried test organism is then wiped with pre-saturated or impregnated towelettes and kept for specific contact times.
- At the end of contact time, carriers are transferred into a neutralizing solution to suppress the microbicidal activity of test substances and recover the surviving test organisms .
- If needed, carriers can be further transferred into a second tube containing a neutralizing solution for effective neutralization of the test substance.
- Subculture from second neutralizing tube is added to the broth medium and incubated for specified time durations.
- After the incubation period, broth medium is observed to measure turbidity. The degree of turbidity in a broth culture is measure of microbial growth.
Microbe Investigations can help you with all your ASTM E2362 testing needs.
Our specialist project managers can take complete responsibility of your project with a comprehensive suite of quality testing services aligned with international standards. We also specialize in antimicrobial efficacy testing of textiles, paints & coatings, and cosmetics.
To get a price quote on ASTM E2362 or other queries related to our antimicrobial testing services, contact our expert today.
ASTM E2362 is a qualitative method of antimicrobial efficacy testing for pre-saturated or impregnated towelettes. This test determines whether a given sample product can kill the test microorganism under practical conditions for their intended use.
ASTM E2362 is carried out for towelettes impregnated with antimicrobial agents. Such products are utilized for hard surface disinfection.
Turnaround time for ASTM E2362 test may vary depending upon incubation periods for bacterial and fungal strains. ASTM E2362 test typically takes 3-4 weeks to complete except for mycobacteria, which can have an incubation period lasting between 60 and 90 days.
At Microbe Investigations, we test for ASTM E2362 using the following microbial strains: Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Mycobacterium bovis, and Trichophyton mentagrophytes.
Contact us for more information
Explore Other Tests
ASTME2149 | AATCC-100 | JISZ2801 | JISL1902 | EN 1276 | ISO 22196 | ISO 20743 | ISO 846 | ASTM E2180 | AATCC 147 | ASTM D7907-14 | ASTM E3031 | ASTM G29 | EN 16615 | EN 13697 | PAS 2424 | EN 1040 | EN 14349 | EN 13727 | EN 14561 | ASTM G22 | ASTM E1153 | ASTM D2574 | AATCC 174 | EN 14563 | EN 13704 | EN 1499 | EN 1500 | EN 14347 | EN 14348 | EN 1656 | EN 16437 | EN 12791 | ASTM E1174 | ASTM E2362