JIS Z 2801 Test
Measurement of Antibacterial Activity on
Plastics Surfaces (Plastics)
JIS Z 2801 – Measurement of Antibacterial Activity on Plastics Surfaces (Plastics)
JIS Z 2801 is a Japan Industrial Standard used to evaluate the antimicrobial activity and efficacy of plastic material and other hard antimicrobial surfaces.
The JIS Z 2801 test method is used to assess the antibacterial effectiveness of materials such as plastics, ceramics, and other non-porous materials.
JIS Z 2801 and ISO 22196 are two identical and widely used test standards that determine the antibacterial activity of solid surfaces that are treated with antimicrobial agents. At MIS, we perform these tests as per customer’s specifications for contact period, test organisms, and other optimal conditions.
Many bacterial species have the ability to survive on the hard surface and remain infectious for several days. This clearly increases the possibility of transmission of bacterial infections through high contact on solid surfaces. To avoid the rapid spread of such infections, it becomes prerequisite to develop antibacterial surface applications for the things that can act as primary or common sources of infection.
JIS Z 2801 Test Procedure
- Test bacterial inoculum is placed on the testing samples (treated and untreated) and is covered with a piece of film (size of 40 mm × 40 mm) to prevent the spread of the inoculum from the edges.
- These petri plates are incubated for 24 hrs under specific temperature (35°C) and humidity conditions.
- For untreated samples (control) – 10 ml of SCDLP broth (used as a neutralizer) is added to petri plates containing sample material immediately after incubation. Further, 10-fold serial dilution is performed with the recovered neutralizing solution to enumerate the viable bacteria. TSA (Tryptic Soya Agar) is used as a bacterial growth medium and plates are incubated at 35 °C for 40 to 48 hours.
- For treated samples (test) – 10 ml of SCDLP broth (used as a neutralizer) is added to petri plates having samples after the incubation of 24 hours. Further, 10-fold serial dilution is performed and is plated on Plate Count Agar (PCA) to enumerate the viable bacteria . Plates are incubated at 35 °C for 40 h to 48 hours.
- After incubation, CFU (Colony Forming Unit) is counted for plates (sample and control) containing 30 – 300 colonies.
- Bactericidal activity of the testing material is determined by evaluation of reduction in viable bacterial count of treated samples as compared to the control samples.
At Microbe Investigations, we offer a comprehensive array of testing services in the sector of microbiology, virology, and entomology. In our testing lab setup, we have introduced all modern technology and best test practices to track all possible testing scenarios. Hence, enabling our customers to develop high-performance products used in the health care sector and day-to-day life. Our goal is to simplify your needs with accurate and reliable results.
To request a quote or want to get more information for the JISZ2801 test, you can contact us.
The JIS Z 2801 test is designed to quantitatively measure the ability of plastics to inhibit the growth of microorganisms (Bacteriostatic) or kill them (Bactericidal), over a 24-hour period of contact. It is a relatively sensitive assay, meaning that it can detect low-level antimicrobial effects exerted over long periods of time.
JIS Z 2801 test is applicable for plastic materials and other non-porous materials such as steel and glass.
The JIS Z 2801 test takes 3 to 4 days.
At Microbe Investigations, we test for JIS Z 2801 using the following bacterial strains: Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Escherichia coli (ATCC 8739), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Enterococcus hirae (ATCC 10541), Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352), MRSA (ATCC 33591), Salmonella enterica ( ATCC 10708), Candida Albicans (MTCC 3017). Additional strains can be added on customer’s request.
Contact us for more information
Explore Other Tests
ASTME2149 | AATCC-100 | JISZ2801 | JISL1902 | EN 1276 | ISO 22196 | ISO 20743 | ISO 846 | ASTM E2180 | AATCC 147 | ASTM D7907-14 | ASTM E3031 | ASTM G29 | EN 16615 | EN 13697 | PAS 2424 | EN 1040 | EN 14349 | EN 13727 | EN 14561 | ASTM G22 | ASTM E1153 | ASTM D2574 | AATCC 174