Chemical Disinfectant & Antiseptics. Hygienic Handrub
BS EN 1500 : 2013 – Hygienic Handrub Method (phase2, step2)
EN 1500 specifies a test method to evaluate the efficacy of handrub products used in areas/situations where disinfection is medically indicated. This test determines whether a hygienic handrub product is capable of eliminating transient microflora from contaminated hands of volunteers.
Hand rub products are quite helpful in reducing transient microflora found on superficial layers of skin. Hospital environments are a significant reservoir of infections. With hand hygiene practices, chances of nosocomial infections can be controlled to a greater extent. Handrub products intended for use in medical area must possess strong microbicidal properties to reduce the risk of infections. EN 1500 standard provides a test method to assess efficacy of such hygienic handrubs before using them in real situations.
EN 1500 Test Conditions & Requirements
Mandatory test organisms – Escherichia coli K12
Subjects – 18-22 volunteers are required to perform the test analysis. Important to ensure that volunteers’ hands should not have any abrasions or cuts.
Contact times – Between 30-60 seconds or as per manufacturer’s recommendations.
EN 1500 Test Method
- Prior to microbial contamination, volunteer hands are washed to get rid of dirt and other impurities.
- In the next step, hands are immersed into microbial suspension and allowed to dry. Then the fingertips are dipped into tryptic soy broth (TSB) to determine pre-values of viable bacteria present on the hands.
- Contaminated hands are rubbed using handrub product sample for specific contact time.
- At the end of contact time, fingers are dipped into a neutralizing solution to recover remaining viable cells.
- A small portion of neutralizing extract is further plated and enumerated.
- Results are calculated by comparing the pre and post values of viable bacteria recovered from hands.
At MIS, EN 1500 Handrub Testing method is performed by experienced professionals using advanced analytical techniques. With the goal of meeting our clients’ testing needs and expectations, we are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and support.
In addition, clients can send us samples of their products to be tested for EN 1499 compliance.
To get a quote on EN 1500 and for more questions about our testing capabilities, connect with our experts now.
EN 1500 test stimulates practical conditions to check if hygienic handrubs are effective in eliminating transient microflora when used on artificially contaminated hands of volunteers.
EN 1500 test is applicable for handrub products to be used in hospitals, community medical facilities, dental settings, in clinics of schools, kindergartens and nursing homes.
EN 1500 test takes 2-3 weeks to complete.
At Microbe Investigations, we test for EN 1500 using the following microbial strains: Escherichia coli (ATCC 8739). Additional strains can be added on customer’s request.
Contact us for more information
Explore Other Tests
ASTME2149 | AATCC-100 | JISZ2801 | JISL1902 | EN 1276 | ISO 22196 | ISO 20743 | ISO 846 | ASTM E2180 | AATCC 147 | ASTM D7907-14 | ASTM E3031 | ASTM G29 | EN 16615 | EN 13697 | PAS 2424 | EN 1040 | EN 14349 | EN 13727 | EN 14561 | ASTM G22 | ASTM E1153 | ASTM D2574 | AATCC 174