Determination of Antibacterial Activity on Ceramic Surfaces
ASTM E3031 – Determination of Antibacterial Activity on Ceramic Surfaces
ASTM E3031 is a standard test method that determines the antibacterial efficacy of ceramic surfaces designed to inhibit or eliminate bacterial growth.
Other available standard methods like ASTM E2180 and ISO 22196 for antimicrobial evaluation of solid surfaces do not take into account the complexities associated with the testing of ceramic surfaces. ASTM E3031 is invented to overcome the limitations of such test methods. ASTM E3031 test method involves the prehydration of ceramic samples and keeping them for incubation for 18 – 24 hours before the test procedure.
ASTM E3031 Test Method
- Prehydrated test (treated) and control (untreated) samples are placed in sterile petri plates.
- Bacterial suspension is evenly spread over the samples and a polyethylene film is placed on the top of the inoculum to ensure even contact with the sample surface.
- Inoculated samples are kept for incubation for 2hrs at 35°C.
- Immediately after inoculation, samples are transferred into a sterile jar containing a neutralizer. The mixture is shaken for approximately 1 minute.
- Serial dilutions and plating is done to enumerate the microorganisms recovered in neutralizing solution.
- Plates are incubated at 35 °C for 24 h.
Microbe Investigations has got full-fledged facilities for the antimicrobial testing of different products. We leverage our services mainly for textile, coating, disinfectant, and plastic industries that are making new products with antimicrobial finishes.
While ensuring the accuracy of the test results, our experts also identify the best possible solutions to modify the errors identified during testing, so that our client can develop high-quality products.
If you want to know more about ASTM E3031 test or other microbiology testing services, get a free consultation from our expert here.
ASTM E3031 is a standard test method used to evaluate the efficacy of ceramic surfaces impregnated with antibacterial agents.
ASTM E3031 test method is applicable for the ceramic surfaces used on floors, walls, and slabs in personnel, commercial, and healthcare spaces.
ASTM E3031 test takes 3-4 days to complete.
At Microbe Investigations, we understand the need for accuracy and speed. We test for ASTM E3031 using the following bacteria: Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442), Escherichia coli (ATCC 8739), Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 6538P), Enterococcus hirae (ATCC 10541), Klebsiella pneumoniae (ATCC 4352), MRSA (ATCC 33591), Salmonella enterica ( ATCC 10708), Candida Albicans (MTCC 3017). Additional strains can be added on request.